Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Trouble With Damien

The doorbell rings.

It is Damien, a 5 year old boy who was in my daughter's split junior/senior kindergarten class last year, where he was know to be a terror. I was often regaled with stories of the trouble he got into, when Kaya arrived home. I am no doctor, but this child definitely seems to have some attention deficit issues.

Damien arrives on my doorstep at least once a week looking for someone to play with. I am embarrassed to admit that I usually make up an excuse as to why my children can't play at that moment. The last time he was in my backyard with a bunch of neighbourhood kids, I thought I was going to have a heart attack from the stress of; "Damien hit me!... Damien won't let me have a turn!... Damien broke the slide!" Over and over again.

This time my excuse is, "Sorry, we are having supper soon." This is a lie. It is only four o'clock. I have just lied to a little boy. Though I am agnostic, I picture lightning bolts forming in the skies above, getting ready to strike me down.

"What about after supper?" he asks.

"We're going to the library afterwards. It's one of my favorite places in the whole universe!" I beam.

"Not me," he quickly replies. "You have to be quiet there!"

Damien knows his limits.

I study his small, disappointed, face and guiltily reconsider. He may play until it's really time for us to eat. Although I am fearful for my sanity, and the state of my house.

The trouble with Damien is that he proceeds to smash all of my preconceived notions about him... He asks to play our drums. I say yes, and brace myself for the aural onslaught. But he plays with rhythm and flare. A natural, who tells me that he really wants to be a singer when he grows up.

He whispers in my ear that Kaya is in love with him. Then smiles the biggest smile I have ever seen. Genuine happiness. If we could all feel this, more often, what a different world this might be.

We make necklaces. The focus this child has, as he carefully selects his colours, and strings bead after bead, leaves me astounded. He is still working away happily long after my own child becomes tired of the craft.

It breaks my heart to see people being judgemental of each other. But I have done exactly that since I first saw Damien running, arms flailing, through the kindergarten yard, screaming at the top of his lungs and lunging at the other small humans around him, much to their obvious dismay.

As the old adage goes, "You can't judge a book by its cover." There is more to him than meets the eye.

Damien's over-the-top enthusiasm and problems paying attention to things he is not interested in, such as school, closely mirror mine. I have not enjoyed being marginalised for my own ADD issues. I hope that he will be met with understanding through life.

I am thankful for this reminder to find the good in everyone.

I am humbled and amazed by the poetry that is Damien.



1 comment: